This year I wanted the kids to learn about their great-great-grandfather who fought in WWI. He served in France and became somewhat of a local celebrity when he came home after the war. He was invited to speak about his wartime experience several times. He happily accepted one of those invitations from a man who had nine daughters. Five months later he married one of those daughters. I wonder if he would have met his wife (my great-grandmother) if he hadn't been a veteran. My brother has his WWI helmet, the only souvenir that I know of from his WWI service.
This picture of us, which I now have, hung in my grand-daddy's house as long as I can remember. The picture is stuck to the glass and cannot be removed, much like the experiences that shape us into who we are.

This Veterans Day will be Jeff's last in the Army. He is on schedule to retire next year. His service has shaped many lives as well.


The amusement park was honoring veterans, so Jeff and the boys went. Grace was sick.


They had a great time.



